Activities for your free time...
You'll have so many things to do in Tenerife that we’re sure you'll want to spend all your time there. You can play almost any summer sport because of the favourable temperatures all year round (especially in the south). Alternatively, you can enjoy recreational activities, such as barbecues in the parks or walks in the coastal or mountainous areas.
Of course, each of the Canary Islands is very different from the others. Tenerife has a few features of each – from differences between the north and south to variety in the topography. This means there’s a long list of things to do in Tenerife. The wide variety of beaches, natural landscapes and villages is a good example.
Things to do in Tenerife – Waterparks
Tenerife has some of the best waterparks in Europe and the world. The good thing is that you can bring your family or friends as there are attractions suitable for all ages.
If you want to enjoy a day of unparalleled fun, we recommend you purchase a ticket for Siam Park. Enjoy a unique experience with friends and family at the several attractions in the park in Playa de las Americas. You could also purchase twin tickets for entry to Siam Park and Loro Parque in Puerto de La Cruz.
Tenerife Travel Secret
Siam Park is one of the best water parks in the world and has many great attractions. It's suitable for the whole family. When buying tickets for Siam Park you can purchase a package that also includes Loro Parque, another of the top places to visit in Tenerife.
Aqualand Tenerife is another great water park in Costa Adeje. One of its main attractions is the Dolphin Show. If you purchase a two-park ticket to include Jungle Park (formerly Parque Las Águilas), you will benefit from a discount.
Although not a water theme park, the Martianez Complex (or Lago Martiánez) is a complex of sea-water swimming pools. It is a very popular place to visit in Puerto de La Cruz and is suitable for all ages. By artist Cesar Manrique, Parque Maritimo Cesar Manrique in Santa Cruz is an affordable, popular water park in Tenerife.
Spas in Tenerife
What if you prefer to spend a quiet, relaxing day in Tenerife away from the troubles of urban life? Or if one day the weather conditions aren’t great but you still want to do something? In that case you can benefit from one of the numerous spas that provide all sorts of beauty and health treatments. This is one of the most sought-after indoor activities in Tenerife. Hotel chains usually provide at least massage services. Most of the luxury and 5-star hotels and resorts have a spa, massages, a sauna, a gym, etc.
Tenerife Travel Secrets had the opportunity to visit Aqua Club Termal, in Costa Adeje, and would recommend you do too. Aqua Club is committed to the environment and you will enjoy some time off in and out of the water.
Rappel, rafting and hiking (senderismo) – adventure sports in Tenerife
The variety of trails in Tenerife is an excellent excuse to try senderismo (hiking) on the island. There are many of them in Las Canadas National Park, as well as in several other places on the island. They have different levels of difficulty and distances, and wonderful views and landscapes.
Tenerife Travel Secrets had the chance to meet teams from the best-known companies specialising in active tourism and senderismo. We tried out their activities and portfolios of services for things to do in Tenerife:
- El Cardón NaturExperience: works primarily in the area of Isla Baja (Garachico, El Tanque, Los Silos and Buenavista del Norte, including Teno). Try stargazing in the National Park.
- Patea Tus Montes: pure adventure with this company that works mainly in the areas of La Orotava and Güímar. We recommend canyoning through Barranco de los Arcos!
- Volcano Teide Experience: a company that provides some of the best activities in and around the Teide volcano. Includes hiking in the National Park, excursions, visiting the Teide Observatory, Sunset and Stars on the peak, a visit to the Altavista del Teide Refuge and a cable car ride up the mountain.
Other outdoor pursuits in Tenerife
The island’s favourable weather and coastal geography allows visitors to enjoy nature. Have fun with a range of possibilities for outdoor activities.
- Scuba diving: one of the best things to do in Tenerife. There are several schools that can teach you and provide the equipment. They are particularly located in the south and west of the island (Costa del Silencio, Los Cristianos and Puerto Santiago);
- Water sports: this is an island, so there are lots of water sports that you can try on your holidays. For instance, you can go fishing, jet-skiing, kayaking, etc;
- Sailing and paragliding: the unique south coast of Tenerife allows you to have a great experience when exploring the waters and sky;
- Whale and dolphin watching: any companies, like Catamaran Bonadea II or Tenerife Sailing Charters, have modern equipment. Go on maritime excursions to watch the incredible animals living off the coast all year round;
- Submarine Safaris: an amazing underwater experience. You will get the chance to see many species of fish, manta ray, etc. through the window.
- Jeep safaris: explore the parks and forests in Tenerife with this fun activity. Some companies offer jeep and jet ski packages;
- Golf in Tenerife: some great golf courses are located across the island. Some of the best-known are Golf del Sur, Golf Costa Adeje, Amarilla Golf and Golf Buenavista del Norte;
Tenerife Travel Secret
Buenavista Golf was designed by the Spanish golfing legend Severiano "Seve" Ballesteros – one of the best golfers of all time.
- Cycling: don’t miss the unique opportunity to cycle through nature, among beautiful landscapes;
- Camel ride: this is a family-friendly activity to try in Tenerife. Take your kids!
- Helidream Helicopters: enjoy the beautiful landscapes of Tenerife and the Canary Islands from above. This sky experience will give you a different perspective of the island’s scenery;
- Karting: Tenerife has an international circuit where you can have lots of fun with your friends.
- Wine tasting: Bodegas Monje is a reference in the Canaries and Spain. They offer several activities, including wine tasting and their famous Wine&Sex events.
Getting to know the local sports
You might also be interested in the local sports, as the variety of traditional practices is quite broad. Some of them are followed by a wide audience across the Canary Islands. Lucha Canaria, a kind of wrestling sport, is certainly the best-known and most widely-practised traditional sport. Some other well-known games are Juego del Palo (based on agility, in which two opponents defend each other) and Salto del Pastor (helpful for those shepherds who had to move their cattle through the ravines).
Tenerife events and attractions by month
Don't miss our monthly calendar of Tenerife events, festivals and attractions while you are checking out Tenerife Travel Secrets. You can gain valuable information and tips of what to do month-by-month. Read about traditional celebrations and discover the best times to visit the top attractions on the island.
Whatever you choose, just enjoy it...
This is just a short list of things to do in Tenerife. With activities exploring the beautiful Tenerife scenery, you'll certainly have the chance to make the most of your holidays. The environment and weather in Tenerife are so unique that you will have many opportunities to explore.
We hope you enjoy the island as much as possible, and leave Tenerife with that feeling of wanting more and more.