Cheap Holidays in Tenerife? That is not only a possibility but a reality. If you are in this section, obviously you are thinking about the possibility of saving money on your holidays.
We have made a short list of different places where it is easiest to find prices to fit your budget for accommodation, free or cheap activities, or places to eat and visit where there isn’t an entrance fee. We also encourage you to visit Tenerife Forum, another website providing a nice variety of interesting information about our beloved island and that can complement this article.
Although an ideal holiday would be one where you could relax in style and luxury, that is not always possible for the majority of us, but this should not stop us from getting excited about enjoying a well-deserved rest somewhere with all the charm and possibilities of the island - perfect cheap holidays in Tenerife.
In Tenerife you can effectively enjoy the most luxurious and elitist holidays with helicopter rides, designer shopping and some of the best hotels and resorts in Europe.
But sometimes, whatever the circumstances, it is not possible to go over budget very much (maybe you’re paying off your mortgage, but you need a few days’ rest, to escape the winter cold …) and for this type of tourism Tenerife is also prepared. We offer you some options to have a dream holiday in Tenerife, without having to break the bank. Apart from that, we also share with you our best 10 reasons to spend your holidays in Tenerife.
Cheap Accomodation in Tenerife - Playa de Las Americas and Los Cristianos
There are two main destinations where you can enjoy cheap holidays in Tenerife, in the south and in the north.
On the south of the island you will find Los Cristianos and Playa de las Américas where there are some of the best 3 star hotels and apartment complexes with comfortable, clean rooms, pleasant and organised communal areas, and even in many cases swimming pools. Some options could be:
- Chayofa Country Club (Playa de las Américas) – three days in a studio for three people could cost you €165 with breakfast included. The apartments are large, clean and the kitchens are well-equipped with the basics. The outdoor pool looks good and has a Jacuzzi.
- Apartamentos Hg Cristian Sur (Los Cristianos) – a one-bedroom apartment for four adults can be found for around €75 per day. The apartments are basic but clean and have everything you need to enjoy good and cheap holidays in Tenerife, as well as a shared swimming pool.
- Apartamentos Reverón (Los Cristianos) – this is in the same group as the Hotel Spa Villalba (4 stars and a bit more expensive) and is a cheaper option near the beach, with large, clean rooms and a small swimming pool with a view.
The Suites at Beverly Hills (Los Cristianos) – a studio apartment for two adults is around €80 with an outdoor pool and everything you need to have independent holidays. It is located in Los Cristianos and the property offers their guests a free shuttle service.
Sunset Harbour Club (Adeje) – a studio apartment for a couple approaches €80, although you should check the dates when you would like to go, because they often have promotions and discounts for cheap holidays in Tenerife. The hotel is bright and the swimming pool area is very large.
Cheap Holidays in Tenerife - Puerto de La Cruz
In the north you can spend your holidays in Puerto de La Cruz which is where you will find the best deals for lower budgets and excellent service.
There the normal temperature is lower than in the south, but it is usually an average of 23°C all year round, which allows you to enjoy a beach holiday even in the winter (November to February). You can find apartment prices as low as €30 per day, but we will give you a list of intermediate accommodation.
- Hotel Elegance Miramar – this has spectacular views towards the sea, as it is in the Tahoro area which is a bit higher up than the rest of the port city. We have seen that for around €45 per day you can stay in a double room on half board.
Hotel Monopol – with 3 stars, this is one of the hotels with the most character in Puerto. In the centre of it all, its swimming pool on top of the building allows you to enjoy some marvellous views out to sea. Its interior garden is reminiscent of an old Canary Island house and the steps at the entrance are always decorated with flowers without exception. You can stay in a double room with breakfast included for around €60. It is an interesting building from the 19th century, when it was a dance hall. The wooden balconies were maintained and there's also a beautiful courtyard with palm trees.
Hotel Interpalace by Blue Sea – another 4 star hotel which allows two adults and a child to stay on half board for around €55 per day. The outdoor pool is huge and the bedrooms have views of either the sea or the majestic valley of La Orotava and El Teide volcano.
Hotel Puerto de la Cruz (PY Hotels) – the price of this emblematic 4 star hotel in Puerto is surprising as you can stay in a double room with breakfast included for around €50. We know for certain that the food they serve there is excellent.
Cheap Holidays - Getting around Tenerife
If your budget doesn’t allow you to hire a car (which, incidentally, is usually quite cheap in Tenerife) or you don’t want to drive on your holidays in order to feel more relaxed, the TITSA bus service is very efficient, with many times to adapt to your needs and route which go to many destinations on the island. Punctuality is not necessarily one of its characteristics, but if you do have to wait, do so calmly (you are on holiday) and maybe take a book (or our e-book) to entertain you while you wait.
Cheap Places to Visit in Tenerife
There are some famous, essential destinations which are unique in the world (or there are few places where you can find their characteristics) and cheap enough to include in your budget cheap holidays in Tenerife.
- You can go to the Teide National Park by bus (the timetable and connections are very limited) to the Parador Starlight in las Cañadas del Teide, go for a walk around the Siete Cañadas area or Roque García or maybe walk up the Teide volcano. Of course, you can also go up on the funicular railway which takes you to the base of the summit. Remember that if you want to gain access to the summit of the Teide you have to seek permission in advance at www.reservasparquesnacionales.es.
- The beach is another fun, relaxing option for any budget. This is a list of beaches according to their ease of access by public transport, both in the north and the south.
Easy access - the beaches in the south along the promenade (some 10km) between Los Cristianos and Costa Adeje (via Playa de las Américas) are easy to access. There is a wide variety of beaches, but our favourites are Troya (Arona), Torviscas and Bahía el Duque (Adeje). In the north the most accessible beaches are in Puerto de la Cruz, and our favourites are Martiánez and Playa Jardín (María Jiménez - Punta Brava is the best one).
Medium access (some of these are a bus ride away from the main tourism areas of the island) – in the south we would include the El Médano beach (Granadilla) and Playa de La Arena (Guía de Isora) which are very close to Los Gigantes. Playa Las Teresitas (Santa Cruz de Tenerife) would be a good option if you find yourself in the capital. In the north the Bajamar pools (La Laguna), the Playa del Socorro (Los Realejos) and El Caletón natural pools (Garachico) would be relatively simple to enjoy.
Difficult to access (but possible by bus and a short walk) – in the south, this would be La Tejita or Montaña Roja beaches (Granadilla), La Caleta beach (Adeje) and Masca beach (Buenavista del Norte), although only in summer and they are accessible by boat or by walking from the small town of Masca. In the north we think that the beaches in La Orotava (El Bollullo, Los Patos and El Ancón) are particularly pretty, by access is not the easiest. The last two depend on accessing them via a cliff, so if you decide to go, be extremely careful. It makes it much more interesting, doesn’t it?
- Visit some of the landmark towns of the island such as La Laguna, La Orotava, Icod de Los Vinos and Garachico.
- Lastly, but not least … food 🙂 If you find yourself in the north, we recommend that you eat at the ‘guachinches’ (which are usually open more or less from November to May or until the wine runs out). These are small improvised stands where they try to sell the wine which they have harvested along with delicious local food. Outside that period and in the south of the island there are many bars, pubs and small restaurants serving typical Canary Island food which you can adjust to your budget and palate.
We also recommend the website Holiday Hypermarket. There you can find excellent choices of package to Tenerife for affordable prices.
We hope that this selection of topics has been useful in helping you achieve your next cheap holidays in Tenerife paradise.